This delicious zucchini cake makes for an ideal appetizer or side dish. It reminds me of a favourite dish of my childhood – fried zucchini with mayonnaise and tomatoes, only this one is far healthier and certainly tastier. It also looks great, thus it’s wonderful for family celebrations. What’s more, zucchini pancakes are very basic and you can experiment and change the filling to your liking. So, while there are still fresh zucchini on the markets, cook it and enjoy every bite!
4 zucchini, roughly grated and squeezed
½ tbsp sugar
1-1.5 glasses of flour
1 package of soft processed cheese, finely grated
1-2 cloves of garlic, mashed
100 g sour cream
50 g mayonnaise
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
A pinch of baking soda
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix grated zucchini, eggs, salt, sugar, flour and baking soda.
2. Heat the pan and add the oil. Pour some zucchini mixture, level with a spoon and fry thin zucchini pancakes on both sides. I usually get 5 pancakes.
3. Thoroughly mix processed cheese with garlic and salt.
4. Mix sour cream with mayonnaise and add salt to taste.
5. Put 1 zucchini pancake on the serving dish. Spread sour cream mixture over it and cover it with slices tomatoes.
6. Put another zucchini pancake atop. Spread half of cheese mixture over it.
7. Cover it with 1 more pancake, spread sour cream mixture and tomatoes over it. Continue the same procedure (pancake – sour cream and tomatoes – pancake – cheese mixture) until you use all the pancakes.
8. Decorate to your liking and let it rest for 2-6 hours in the fridge.
NB: You can also use as a filling stewed carrots and onions, or mushrooms and onions.