It’s a wonderful summer-autumn dessert for the days when the sun still shines and it’s still warm: it’s extremely peachy, easy to cook, light and tasty! Soft moist sponge cake, weightless yoghurt cream and fragrant sweet peaches make for an ideal substitute for ice-cream and cakes in sunny days. It’s impossible to spoil, so, while peaches are still on the stalls, give it a try!
For the sponge cake:
3 eggs, separate yolks from whites
55 g flour
110 g sugar
20 g starch
100 ml chilled green tea
2 tbsp gin (can be substituted for cognac or rum)
2 tbsp lemon juice
For yoghurt layer:
600 ml Greek yoghurt
200 ml 30% cream, well-chilled
80 g powdered sugar
20 g powdered gelatin
100 ml peach juice
600 g ripe peaches, peeled and roughly chopped
18*30, 24*24 or 26 cm springform baking tin
1. Pre-heat oven to 170 o C.
2. Mix flour and starch.
3. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Continue beating, adding 1 tbsp of sugar at a time.
4. Continue beating, adding yolks, one at a time.
5. Carefully but thoroughly, stir in the flour mixture. Stir until homogeneity.
6. Cover the baking tin with parchment paper and pour the dough in. Put it in the oven and bake for 15-20 min.
7. Take the sponge cake out of the oven and let it cool down completely (2-3 hours).
8. Finely cut the crust off.
9. Mix tea with gin and lemon juice.
10. Soak the sponge cake with the tea mixture, and put the sides of the springform tin around it.
11. Put gelatin in a small pan and douse it with peach juice. Let it rest for 5 min to swell.
12. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Continue whipping, adding powdered sugar.
13. Put the gelatin over low heat and stir it from time to time until dissolves. You can also do this in a microwave oven, but be careful not to over-heat.
14. Pour the yoghurt in a deep bowl, add gelatin with peach juice and thoroughly mix it.
15. Add 1/3 whipped cream and mix thoroughly. Add the rest of the cream and blend carefully.
16. Add chopped peaches and mix once more.
17. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the sponge cake, decorate it and put in a refrigerator for 1-2 hours to congeal.