Today I offer you to prepare something very unusual and sophisticated: raw broccoli salad with raisins and almonds. Really, although it’s not widely practiced in Ukraine, but you can safely eat raw broccoli, as well as raw cabbage and raw Brussel sprouts; it’s delicious, refreshing, and much richer in vitamins than its cooked versions; and what’s more, it doesn’t have that peculiar smell that cooked broccoli has, tasting more like our usual cabbage. Yet, combined with sweet raisins, crunchy almonds, and sour apple, this broccoli salad is sooo juicy, aromatic, truly delectable, and even festive that you’ll have troubles restraining yourself from downing the whole bowl at once! It’s love at the first spoon, believe me! So, while there still is broccoli at the markets, don’t miss this opportunity!
1 broccoli, divides into florets
1 big apple, peeled, roughly grated
30 g almonds
50 g raisins
½ red onion, diced
50 g mayonnaise
40 g sour cream
½ tbsp apple vinegar
½ tsp honey
¼ tsp salt
1. Heat the oven to 180 o C, and bake the almonds until slightly browned, approx. 10 min.
2. Let the almonds cool down and chop them.
3. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a cup.
4. Add onion to the dressing and let it marinate for 5 min.
5. Put the raisins in a cup, and fill the cup with boiling water. Let the raisins swell for 5 min.
6. Put broccoli in a food processor and mince it.
7. Mix broccoli, grated apple, drained raisins, and the dressing with onion in a serving bowl.
8. Sprinkle the salad with chopped almonds and serve immediately!
P. S. Do not restrict yourself to particular ingredients: almonds can be replaced with walnuts or hazelnuts, and raisins can be replaced with any dried fruit. The only essential ingredients here are broccoli and apple vinegar.