It’s a perfect summer dish – light, nutritious, colourful, easy-to-cook and doubtlessly tasty! Stewed zucchini with tomatoes, eggs, fragrant basil and just a little bit of salty cheese – all this makes for an excellent breakfast or lunch. All that you need to add is a slice of fresh soft bread to clean out the sauce! If you wish, you can also add aubergines or use bryndza.
1 average zucchini or marrow, chopped
2 big tomatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
½ onion, sliced into half-moons
1 clove of garlic, minced
10 g hard cheese, finely grated
2 branches of basil, only leaves, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
Oil for frying
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
2. Well-heat the oil over high heat. Add zucchini and quickly brown them.
3. Add onion, stir and fry until softened.
4. Add tomatoes and garlic. Thoroughly mix everything, salt, and stew until half of the tomato juice evaporates.
5. Add half of the basil to the vegetables, stir, remove from the fire and make small hollows in the vegetables for eggs. Carefully crack the eggs into the hollows.
6. Put the pan into the oven and bake the eggs for 5-6 min until the whites harden but the yolks remain runny.
7. Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the eggs with hard cheese, basil and black pepper.
NB: If you don’t have an ovenproof pan, you can use any baking dish. In this case, after removing the vegetables from the fire, put them in a baking dish, make hollows for eggs and then crack the eggs into the hollows. Bake for 2 more min.